Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Embracing the Diva (or learning how to be a better sensitive person)

I wrote about my lovely experience performing Undine in Seattle over on the Hand2Mouth blog. But I wanted to write more about one aspect of it here that relates to being a Very Sensitive Person.

I know I have hinted and talked around this topic a lot here, but to address it directly: the last six months I have basically not been sure I wanted to continue with Undine at all. After doing it in New York in August, I just felt burned out and used up and unable to get excited about it anymore. I thought I might be done.

As I mentioned in my last post, being in New York last month restored some of my hope & energy – and at the very least made me realize that the issue was not the city of New York.

This weekend made me realize that the issue is also not performing Undine.

I think what has been going on is this: I needed time to figure out how to handle the rigors of performing alone, and the particular stress it puts on my body and mind. It’s much more difficult than performing or rehearsing a H2M show, where there are built in support networks and ego checks. With Undine, though I have incredible collaborators, it’s still a lot more pressure falling on me directly, and it feels more personal. I needed some time to get my strength back up to the point where I could face those pressures.

One thing I’ve realized in this time of reflection is that I have to pay very, very close attention to my body and mind-space after the show, and I can’t expect too much from myself. I get into trouble when I want to be the life of the party, or for some reason think other people want me to be. I usually don’t have the energy for this, and nobody actually expects it of me anyway, but for some reason it’s been hard for me to demand the right to not talk about myself or the show or field questions from strangers. Or try and impress important people. Dear god.

One way to do this has been to embrace my Inner Diva.

A lot of people think being a Diva is all about gigantic ego. But I think it’s more about needing to shield yourself from attention and demands. And the more you put yourself out there on stage, the more you open yourself up to attention and demands offstage, and to (some) people wanting a piece of you, or wanting you to be who you are onstage.

That is, for me, the most difficult part: handling what people read into my personal life & character based on the show. I’m not blaming them for doing this – I purposely blur the lines between reality and performance, so it’s a fair assumption – but sometimes this makes talking after the show, or just being around people after the show, weird. So I’ve learned I have to be super protective of myself and what I need.

Maybe Diva needs to drink a hot toddy in the corner booth flanked by friends who protect her from the hordes. Or maybe Diva would like to speak to her public. Or maybe she would rather go out dancing.

Diva doesn’t need to be consistent. And Diva doesn’t need to apologize.

Anyway, this weekend was an amazing way to get back on the Undine train because the audiences were warm and receptive and actively supportive. I remembered that it’s FUN to do this show, that for all the energy I pour into it, I get a lot back. And I ended up having a great time talking to people after the show. It was not difficult at all – but a lot of that was because I’ve learned to not be mad at myself for having limits and reaching them. I was ready to leave whenever I felt like it, and I had people I loved & trusted around me to read my signals and support whatever I needed.

Maybe these insights seem obvious... but man, not for me. It's taken me a long time to figure all this out. Not to suggest that "all this" has been by any means figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment