Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Importance of Shoes

I have never considered myself a style conscious person. Which is to say, I like to pretend I live in a realm outside such petty concerns as clothing and status and how one presents oneself, though I’ve come to realize that no such realm exists and that when I say I “don’t care about how I look” I am carefully choosing to align myself with a certain segment of bohemian society that rejects consumerism, but actually cares WAY MORE than your average soccer mom in middle America about how they present themselves, so it’s all bullshit.

Which is all a longwinded way of saying… hello, my name is Faith Helma, and I have a sense of style. It may be a style that is one part goodwill jeans, one part monochrome t-shirt, and one part unraveling sweater – but it is a style. And lately I’ve been realizing that most important component of one’s style is: shoes. I know this is not news to anyone but me. But it’s been a big insight: if you have a pair of shoes that make you feel awesome, it has an effect on every other aspect of your life.

Kick ass shoes = kick ass life. That’s my new philosophy.

I will give three examples to prove my point.

The sandals I had the summer I was seventeen. I remember so clearly being with my mom at a shoe store, and that these sandals were expensive. I even remember how much they cost which reveals a lot about my warped sense of morality/frugality (aka morgality*): $35. She insisted on buying them for me even though I stubbornly maintained that I was fine wearing clogs made out of old bathmats. And thank god she did because those sandals and that summer are fused in my mind. In fact I don’t even remember much about what exactly happened that summer – I just remember that it was fun, and that I loved those freaking sandals and wore them every single day and kept wearing them for years until I wore out the leather. They were beautiful and delicate and strong, and they made me feel that way which, let me tell you, was a sensation that was sorely lacking at that point.

The hiking boots I wore when my dear friend Aryn & I road tripped across America. I felt so strong when I was wearing them. They embodied the kind of tough woman I wanted to be. They made me feel sexy even though I was greasy and smelly – they made me feel sexy BECAUSE I was greasy and smelly. I was still wearing them up until last winter when the soles literally fell off. And whenever I wore them I remembered: oh yeah, I can kick some ass in these boots. As I’ve said before – you can’t kick ass in flip flops. Or in spindly high heels (unless they’re those gladiator ones and if you can kick ass in those, more power to you).

The sneakers I bought the day before I flew to New York a few weeks ago. My old sneakers were fine, but they were slightly too small and I was always happy to take them off (a sure sign you are not wearing the right shoes – if they’re the right shoes, you’ll want to sleep in them). Anyway, I was at my secret-favorite store, Ross Dress for Less, and chanced across some sneakers for sale. And bought them even though it seemed frivolous, and morgality* still burns within my breast. Well, I’m glad I did, because I can’t believe how much better I feel AS A PERSON when wearing them. They are my style. They make me walk with more confidence. I feel light on my feet, but also savvy. I don’t know why. But that’s why people wear what they wear, right? So they can present themselves as they’d like to be to the world. I didn’t even realize it until I bought these new shoes, but the old shoes were making me feel pinched and knock-kneed and kind of frumpy. Now I feel like a superhero! All because of my new sneakers!

Thanks, America.

* oh, and you’re welcome for coining a new word.

No comments:

Post a Comment