Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Business plan: Tangible Feelings™

Previously I have written about my business plans of opening a creative space / kindergarten classroom for adults or becoming a palm reader. Neither of those plans have progressed much (though I still like them), but now I’ve got another one.

The other day I read that cosmetics companies don’t sell lipstick, they sell feelings. Hope, fantasy, desire. This is not news, everyone knows that Mary Kay is selling eternal youth not skin cream, and Levi’s is selling Portland hipster dreams, not jeans.

Still, it got me thinking. If what most businesses are actually selling is feelings and desires, then why not sell that directly?

I’m all for paying $7 so you can apply long lasting color to your lips. But I also know that the pleasure found in lipstick is fleeting. And if what people want is hope and encouragement and a reason to feel good about themselves, is there a way to give this to them in a more satisfying way? For a similar price?

I think maybe I can. So I present to you: TANGIBLE FEELINGS™ (note: I realize this is a terrible name. Can anyone think of a better one? Someone suggested FEELINGS BY FAITH but that makes it sound like a Christian rock band).

Some things I might offer:

TINY BIT OF HOPE. $7.
A short message tailored to your situation, to lift your spirits and get you feeling good.

SEXY SEXY SEXY. $10.
A passionate exhortation on what it is that makes you incredibly sexy and what you can do to expand on your natural sex appeal.

BIG RAY OF HOPE. $15.
A personal pep talk written just for you, including your favorite quotes, heroes and inspirations, and oratorically delivered and recorded so that you can play it any time you’re feeling low.

JOY JOY JOY. $20.
A song composed and recorded just for you. It’s yours to do with as you please. And you can tell everybody, this is your song. It might be quite simple but, now that it’s done, I hope you don’t mind, I hope you don’t mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is when you’re in the world.

IMMORTALITY & ETERNAL YOUTH.
Still in development.

So. What do you think? Am I crazy? Would this be something anyone would actually pay for, ever? I am half-serious about making this into an actual business.

1 comment:

  1. I love it and totally think you can actually sell this. Unfortunately, if you want to avoid the whole mistaken identity for a Christian organization I think you have to leave your name outta it.

    ReplyDelete